Moving on from Canon... Choosing between Sony NEX, D600 or the new D5200?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,541Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving on from Canon... Choosing between Sony NEX, D600 or the new D5200?
In reply to FumbleDuck, Feb 10, 2013

FumbleDuck wrote:

I had the Nikon D600 and the 14-24mm lens for a wekk over the Xmas. Its a complete beast. As for image quality, yeah it has the edge for sure, the sensor is amazing (better than my 5n but the gap between the 5n and the D600 is much smaller than the gap between the 5n and 5D2).
You would probably need to get all-new lenses and that would probably be expensive.

I had the Nikon D600 and the Sigma 50/1.4 for a week+ over Xmas as well. I prefer shooting at 35mm (FF) much of the time (so Zeiss 24 on my NEX 5N). I didn't wait to try the D600 with the Sigma 35 that is coming out soon, but I suspect it will be a very nice combo even though it's just huge for one focal length. I didn't like the LiveView implementation on the D600. I also had an RX1 at the same time and the RX1 impressed me more than than the D600 (sure, same sensor but the D600 is huge). In the end, I decided the NEX 5N and Zeiss 24 offer me very good image quality and the bump up to FF wasn't going to provide enough of a benefit for the cost. Another photographer could easily reach a different conclusion. But it really depends on the focal length needed and the glass being used.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow