My Canon glass isn't so hot on the 1Ds Mk. III...

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,869
Like?
Re: My Canon glass isn't so hot on the 1Ds Mk. III...
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Feb 10, 2013

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Have you ever touched one of this lenses?

35L and the Sigma 85 are miles ahead the two cheap Canons and not only because they are one stop faster or offer vastly better Bokeh.

So then in what way are they "miles ahead"? The 35mm f1.4 L USM does not have great bokeh, so that can't really be it. Nor is it vastly more sharp.

Then there is the Sigma 85mm f1.4. How does it have better bokeh than the Canon 85mm f1.8 USM? In fact, the Sigma can have so-so to nasty bokeh:

http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/2010/10/sigma-85mm1-4-ex-dg-hsm-lens-review-part-1/

It is fair to say that the Sigma 85mm f1.4 is nothing special regarding bokeh. It's only real plusses are the extra 2/3rds of a stop compared to the 85mm f1.8 and the lower price compared to the 85mm f1.2 L.

It is an ok lens, obviously, and not better than the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM. Side by side, the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM has nicer bokeh.

They 70-200 IS L is by far better regarding sharpness and contrast.

The* 70-200mm f4 L IS USM is a bit better regarding sharpness (but not all that much, the 70-200mm f4 L USM is no slouch), and worse regarding MFD work and bokeh. It's other plusses are weather sealing and IS. The non-IS is a fine lens in its own right, and (lack of) contrast is not one of its problems.

Instead of saying nonsense to my comments you should gain some experience. "Second hand knowledge" is the main problem in forums.

Instead of pretending to have knowledge, it is better to gain some.

-- hide signature --

Unless your real name is Alan Abrams you just proofed my point. You don't own and most likely never touched one of those lenses though you feel the need to comment. Sad.

So what you are saying is that you feel the need to defend your own purchases, do I have that correct?

Or is your point that one can't see how a lens performs in a photo unless one has made the photo oneself? I suggest you think about that for a little...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow