Do RAW shooters use the Fuji X DR enhancement feature?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Do RAW shooters use the Fuji X DR enhancement feature?
In reply to sgoldswo, Feb 10, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

I ask because I'm consistently disappointed with results using the DR enhancement feature. Grainy, flat and impossible to enhance in post would seem to be the order of the day. I can fully appreciate why that is, given what the camera does to boost DR, but I do wonder if it's worth it if you'll be PP'ing anyway.

Now I occasionally have had decent results at DR400, but looking at them they are largely shots of subjects that didn't really justify DR400 in the first place. These days, if the sun is in frame, I might set the camera to DR200 manually, otherwise I'll just leave the camera set to DR100 and adjust the image in post.

This isn't a x-trans vs bayer debate either - this seems to be identical between the X-Pro1 and X100 (and frankly the same was true of my old Sony NEX-7).

PS I understand the utility for those who shoot jpeg (as I used to).

To be honest, I personally haven't gotten my head around the DR modes yet. The way I look at them is that they underexpose by 1 stop (DR200) or 2 stops (DR400). If I want to preserve highlights, I generally underexpose manually. Whereas the DR modes adjust ISO, manually underexposing (for proper ETTR, for example) gives me the opportunity to use shutter speed and/or aperture (depending on the desired result) without raising the ISO and thus potentially avoiding increased noise.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow