Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959
Like?
Re: Difficult lenses
In reply to Rbbra, Feb 10, 2013

Rbbra wrote:

jeff hladun wrote:

Concerning the difficulty of using wide angle lens: I think the problem is that photographers feel a wide angle view is by definition a distant view. My rule of thumb is to use wider lenses the closer I am to what it is I want to photograph. I think this is why I prefer the 28mm for street photography; a 50mm for instance doesn't record all the elements I want to record, just because I'm too close to the subject matter. (The increased depth of focus realtive to longer lenses is a bonus, too.)

The photographer's preferred distance to subject may be the reason for a favoured focal length, and favourite lens.

Hello jeff hladun,

I thought of 15-21 mm but still these are useful remarks to think over and try in practice.

Rbbra

You're right; the 28mm is really just a regular wide angle, for argument's sake. I have a 21mm, and use it on the M8 as an 28mm. Rarely is it used as a 21mm on my film bodies.

Plenty of street photographers use the 24mm as their main lens, although I know many like it for its cropping ability. Getting down in the 18mm to 21mm range adds plenty of distortion, especially close-up. Interestingly, a friend of mine claims the rarely used Hasselblad fish-eye lens can be used as a portrait lens. It seems the centrepoint of that lens is fairly free of distortion, with increasing distortion towards the edges. I haven't seen any samples of this portrait style, and I wonder if the M-mount fisheyes would work in this fashion?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow