7D Jpg and 7D Raw the Same?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
TonyK_in_Texas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Re: Outdoors...
In reply to KariP, Feb 10, 2013

First, the 7D has great IQ even in JPG Large. Yet JPG is not the end all be all of photography.  It is a lossy format that begs for very little modification as data is lost on each saving of a image.

In camera processing does not equal the power users can get with computer processing and flexibility.  Having the camera decide what data to discard is why some of us shoot RAW when needed.

When I photograph for simple eBay items I shoot JPG.  When I shoot most anything else it is RAW, especially for paying customers, fine art, wildlife, etc.

The file format the image is stored in at the time of capture is just one of many decisions photographers make.  Calling people ignorant is not the best way to convince people of your position.  Implying you know how long or how good someone is also does little to boast any given opinion in a post.

A friend who makes $$$ with his images shoots JPG but then he is old school film and knows how to capture what he wants.  Then in the last couple of years he has moved to RAW because he saw what doing so provides in post processing flexibility.

BTW, I've been at the game since I was in high school which was the mid-70's so I know a thing or two about capturing images and delivering images.  I would never go back to film and when it really counts I will always shoot in RAW.

Take care,

-- hide signature --

TonyK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow