Do RAW shooters use the Fuji X DR enhancement feature?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Do RAW shooters use the Fuji X DR enhancement feature?
In reply to sgoldswo, Feb 10, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

I ask because I'm consistently disappointed with results using the DR enhancement feature.

Perhaps you don't know when it is best to use it.

Here is an example from DPR's test image repository for the X-Pro 1.  This is DR400 and processed in Silkypx:

There are a number of ways which this image, processed from RAW, is better than the matching OOC JPEG, such as the cloud detail, the better foliage and grass detail, better sharpness and so on.

Grainy, flat and impossible to enhance in post would seem to be the order of the day. I can fully appreciate why that is, given what the camera does to boost DR, but I do wonder if it's worth it if you'll be PP'ing anyway.

I didn't think the image above looked grainy or flat.

It would be better if you viewed it as a means to boost highlight headroom, which ultimately, as long as you process RAW, will also result in increased dynamic range.

DR100 (no enhancement) should give you around +0.7EV before clipping, but it could be more. I don't have an X-Pro or E camera to do the testing on, so I am making an educated guess. The review information is currently missing its graphical content.

DR200 (only available with ISO400 or higher) should give you around +1.7EV before clipping, while DR400 (only available with ISO800 or higher) should give around +2.7EV before clipping in RAW.

Now I occasionally have had decent results at DR400, but looking at them they are largely shots of subjects that didn't really justify DR400 in the first place. These days, if the sun is in frame, I might set the camera to DR200 manually, otherwise I'll just leave the camera set to DR100 and adjust the image in post.

The DR enhancements, which rely on ISO amplification techniques to give the etra highlght headroom, are only meant to be used on high contrast scenes, that is where you would normally get some image content exposing above 0EV.

If you use it on a dull day, for instance, you will probably find that your image exposes even lower on the histogram than if using DR100.  I repeat, it is ONLY meant for high contrast scenes.

Hopefully I can wait out for the X20 because I am really keen to test out these under-reported aspects of X-Trans and, indeed, most sensors.  I have done extensive work regarding highlight headroom on EXR-sensor DR, such as on the X10.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow