Flat view
This thread is locked.
rkumar
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Fuji X-E1 vs Nikon D5200, D7000, D300s @ 6400 ISO
Feb 10, 2013

OK, I know that...

1. It is not the camera, but the photographer's skill than makes the image

2. Lenses can be more important the camera body in determining the technical image quality

3. Being at the right place at the right time with any camera is more important than sitting at home with a $10k body/lens combination and shooting test charts

4. There is more to camera performance than high ISO noise

5. Discussing and arguing about small differences in camera performance is a 'first-world' problem and luxury

With that out of the way let us get back to pixel-peeping at 6400 ISO

I am comparing Fuji X-E1 with three of Nikon's DX offerings in the different categories. The cameras are Fuji X-E1 (16MP) Nikon D300s (12MP) Nikon D7000 (16MP) Nikon D5200 (24MP). Images are jpegs at 6400 ISO from the DPreview studio comparison setup (selected parts). It seems to me that the X-E1 does better than any of Nikon's cameras. I know it is not fair to compare the X-E1 to the D300s or even D7000. But the X-E1 images look better to me in color, detail and lack of noise than even images from the latest Nikon (Toshiba?) sensor on the D5200. The Fuji has a new sensor design on the X-E1 with no AA filter to improve resolution but a different type of random RGB pattern to reduce moire.

I dont find the D5200 to be much better than even D7000 except for image size. I dont know how much Nikon is going to improve their sensor / impage processing if they are planning to use the same 24MP sensor on D7000 or D300s replacements. If you are going to say that I am comparing jpegs (not RAW) - well a lot of D5200 buyers are going to be shooting jpeg. And note that the D5200 jpeg is more than twice the size of the Fuji X-E1 jpeg.

The Fuji X-system currently has issues like slower AF, lack of lens options, worse flash system than Nikon etc. But their approach to sensor technology and image processing seems better than that of Nikon's approach of pushing more MP. An XE-1 sensor + imaging pipeline on a D7xxx/D3xx body would have been great.

I know it is not going to happen, still....

You can click on the image below and then 1:1 view on the top left to see the comparison at 100%

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D300S Nikon D5200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow