Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Panasonic LX7 or Canon G15.

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Re: OT: m4/3 for kids
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 10, 2013

2eyesee wrote:

Thank for the interesting debate, guys!

Just to give some background to my decision making, I have actually previously owned a Micro 4/3 and Sony NEX. The thing is I found is that I was never going to be someone who swapped lenses. I take mainly family photos, and I am never going to go out with 2-3 primes and be deciding what lens to use, swapping lenses etc - not to mention the price.

Then when these fast compacts came along - G15, LX7, RX100 etc - I decided what was the use in sticking with an interchangeable lens camera if I'm just using the kit lens? Sure, they have the advantage of a much larger sensor, but that's largely offset by the slower kit lens. In the end I just decided I would be better off with a premium compact that was easy to take out with me wherever I go, which was how I ended up with the RX100.

However, my initial enthusiasm for the RX100 (largely generated by early reviews) has been dampened somewhat by the shortcomings I have come across - so much so that I'm actually rather disappointed in it now and want to move on to something else.

Further to this, my son is nearly 7 and seems just about old enough for me to let him start taking some photos with my camera. I want to be able to do this without putting gear that's too valuable in his hands. The LX7 seems like a good compromise in this way - IQ and performance that should satisfy me without being too pricey.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow