I'm trying to find here the best Mac to use with my Phase One IQ180. Any suggestion suggestion?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions thread
qstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm trying to find here the best Mac to use with my Phase One IQ180. Any suggestion suggestion?
In reply to Caiua Franco, Feb 10, 2013

The recommendations for a 2012 27" IMAC for working with your IQ180 files is a good option. I currently am using a similar setup working with P45+, IQ160 and IQ180 files myself. If you can go with the 768GB SSD its a great option, I myself already had some fast external SSD's and the cost was just to much for the internal. So, I went with the i7 / 32GB RAM (after market) / 2GB VRAM / 3TB Fusion option. To this I added a couple of external Thunderbolt SSD enclosures with 512GB SSD (Samsung 840 Pro and OCZ Vector). The first SSD is just a scratch disk for all my CS6 apps and the other is where I store my working files (with library / catalog / session files on the Fusion). Once I want to archive the files I transfer them off to a external Drobo (CrashPlan for off-site).

I've been pretty pleased with the performance in particular Capture One and CS6 both with the RAW files and working TIF's. Exports of 16-bit TIF (340 px/in) performance is really good and had always been a slow chore on my old system. Coming from a custom water-cooled / multi-RAID1 PC, I was worried that the performance wasn't going to be there but, that hasn't been the case. In fact reads / writes, library look-ups, exports, launching apps and all CS6 functions are just way faster on the iMAC than my 2 year old PC. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If there was a new Mac Pro out I might have gone that way but, I think for now I have made the right call. I also use the system when in the studio if I need an alternate to my laptop for tethering. Its lighter weight makes it pretty portable if you don't want to rent tech cart.

In terms of the screen there is some black crush but, the display can be calibrated.  It won't be as good as the EIZO's or the NEC's but, lots of work gets done on the iMACs these days without issue.  If you already have a display you can find many options for DVI, HMDI to TB to allow you to use it as a secondary display.

qstudios's gear list:qstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow