Will good glass make my EPL1 images brilliant like an OMD-e5 or should i just buy the OMD

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,050Gear list
Like?
Re: Only above ISO...
In reply to rpm40, Feb 10, 2013

rpm40 wrote:

Since the e-pl1's base iso is 200 and iso 100 is done with trickery, I wonder why Oly decided not to allow iso 100 on the om-d? Sensors are getting good enough at high iso that they are usable at isos I'll never use- I'd rather trade some of that off and have a lower base iso- at least 100.

Just over-expose by 1 stop and get the same net effect as what happens on the E-PL1 to get ISO 100. The E-PL1 manual says if noise is a problem then ISO 100 is useful, but be prepared for dynamic range to suffer. My words, but that's the essence of it.

If really needing low ISO for slow shutter speeds and/or large apertures, then ND8 filter (3 stops) might be useful to slow things down. I even have an ND400 from film days that I've yet to play with to get about 8 or 9 stops difference.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow