Flat view
WD
WD
Regular MemberPosts: 481
Like?
COME ONNNNNNNN NIKON!
Feb 10, 2013

PatMann wrote in a previous thread:

A mirrorless APS-C camera can be competitively compact only if it uses a sensor-to-flange distance much shorter than the F mount - more like a logical flange distance for the format - 35mm or less. Yes, it will require another line of lenses, and if Nikon wants to be a leading camera company 5-10 years from now, it will need to have a camera and lens system in this category. DX is positioned right between full frame and CX, all three are logical formats with their own advantages.

Nikon will need to have a full set of APS-C designed fast lenses to take this market - 60mm f/1.4 or 1.2, 35mm f/1.4 or f/1.2, 23-24mm f/1.4 or f/1.2, 16 or 18mm f/1.4 or 1.8, 12mm f/2 or f/2.8, 50-135 f/2.8 zoom. Only the wide zoom and normal zoom are covered in DX today. They haven't produced the core lenses in 14 years of APS-C reflex cameras, but they'd better get at it with mirrorless or the mirrorless makers will suck all their current APS-C customers away - it's happening every day right now - the mirrorless makers including MFT are way ahead of Nikon in prime lenses for this general category.

They can certainly provide an adapter for the transition period from F mount, but to sell the system, they need to have a new lens mount that makes the system compact when used with the core system lenses. I'd be perfectly happy to use an adapter to mount a 70-200 zoom for example, but not a 24mm f/1.4 - it needs to be half the size, bulk and weight and 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the full frame 24mm f/1.4 to sell into that market.

Perhaps Nikon is using the Nikon 1 system as a test platform for technology headed for APS-C in the future. I certainly hope they have a strategy in there somewhere, because it certainly doesn't look like it right now. At least there's nothing obvious that meets MY needs.

-- show signature --
-- hide signature --

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I agree 100%.  I'm convinced, the reason we haven't seen a D400 or new DX lenses is that Nikon is directing their energy, research and development in the mirrorless direction.  The V1 is a working test-bed from which the DX mirrorless system will evolve.

Nikon realizes they're in a horse race and near the back of the pack, rounding the first turn and heading into the backstretch.  They need to show their supporters they're like Secretariat, who could come from behind and win by 10 lengths!  (I just hope Secretariat has a good Jockey!)

And while we wait, since the race has a way to go yet, give us the dang D400!   It's probably the last one you'll ever have to design.

Warren

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow