Which Flash for a 7D/5D3 (580EX or 600EX)?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 889Gear list
Like?
Which Flash for a 7D/5D3 (580EX or 600EX)?
Feb 10, 2013

Hello:

I've been shooting with a 7D for two years but will be buying a 5D3 later this year.  The pop-up flash on the 7D has served me pretty well for fill situations but the more I get into photography the more I realize I need a good external flash.  I'm starting to get requests from people to photograph events that a pop-up flash simply cannot cover and it's embarassing to tell them I can't do the shoots for that reason.

Some of the things I'd be shooting with the flash are portraits (outdoors and indoors, but not in a studio at the present time), nightclubs/parties/social events, museums, and amateur photojournalist-type stuff (local newsworthy events like the opening of a new shopping mall or appearances by politicians or local celebrities at public events).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between the 580EX-II or the 600EX-RT.  My concern about the 600EX-RT is whether or not the 7D will be able to utilize all of the new features it has.  I guess once I put it on my future 5D3 that won't be an issue but it would still be nice to know that it will work on both of them.

In reading some of the reviews of the 600 it sounds very nice.  The interface has been completely redone and is a lot more intuitive than the one on the 580.  It's also the first Canon flash with a dot-matrix LCD screen instead of a segment-based one (and it's 30% larger than the screen on the 580).

I may or may not keep my 7D once I get the 5D3.  Chances are I will because it would be nice to have two bodies and not have to worry about changing lenses in the middle of a shoot.  So it would be nice if the 600 worked equally as well on the 7D as it did on the 5D3.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions anyone might have...cheers!

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow