If People want a Pentax FF so bad.. Go buy a 645d ??

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
breeze_of_wind
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
Re: If People want a Pentax FF so bad.. Go buy a 645d ??
In reply to MightyMike, Feb 10, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

I agree there are a lot of Pentaxians out there that are just cheap! Now if its priced out of my budget i don't complain i just don't buy cause i can't. I don't keep hoping for something new to be very cheap against all reason either.

The top complaints about Pentax stuff in no particular order

- Its too expensive

- Its too big (referring to some lenses, third party especially) I read a user review calling the Sigma 18-125 big and heavy... its one of the lightest smallest zoom lenses you can find! therefore another pentaxian with no grasp on reality. I've read hundreds of complaints about the size of what i consider average lens being too big and heavy, every time i read such a complaint i wonder if that person would ever dream of doing any telephoto work.

Other complaints are often for lenses or cameras like what the competition has without any thought to the cost of such items... how many times have i read the demand for a 200-400mm F4 weather sealed lens? plenty, of those demanding not one would pay what the Nikon people and soon the Canon people pay for such a lens.

Another complaint is people want lenses that are available from third party companies but they want a Pentax made one as they are first party brand snobs and won't dare by a third party item unless their life depended on it.

This all paints a picture of the general average pentaxian being...

Cheap! Complaining about cost.

Weak! Complaining about size and weight

Envious! the grass is always greener if you don't consider the consequences

Short Sighted! demanding what the other guys have without ever considering the reality of cost and size

and Brand Snobs! They poo-poo the third party offerings in many cases no matter how many times review say they are actually really good options. Sometimes doubling up on items on the market is just a waste for resources!

All traits that don't allow the company to market newer better items as the Pentaxian market will find some reason why they won't own the new item.

The babies in Pentax land better get it together, you can't defy the laws of physic or the laws of economy. In these ways you can't always have your cake and eat it too! Grow up, the other brands did, those who can afford something own it and those who can't either save up or just dream about it.

Now i'm not saying this is true of all Pentaxians but there sure are a lot of you out there who can't handle the realities of the items you envy or demand.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Hi Mike

Your thesis of what the average user can put aside each year makes sense.

In any one year I wonder how many of us can put aside $1,000, $2,500, $5,000 or more to purchase new equipment.  Of those who purchased a new K5II or K5IIs since last fall I wonder how many went out and purchased a top flight lens -- costing something in the order of magnitude of $1,500 or more?

Like you I hear many voices looking for less expensive gear -- for many the reality is that they have limited discretionary dollars.

Finally, Mike, I wonder how this translates into the mindset of the Pentax marketing folks -- will they see look into their crystal ball and say yes an upgrade to the K5II and yes a ff?  So many variables to manage in makiung the call -- not the least of which is an estimate of the number of people with the resources to purchase a new body and a good lens or two.

John

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow