Suggestions on a camera for ice hockey and soccer games

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Slow down
In reply to ARShutterbug, Feb 10, 2013

$5000???? Sure if you were considering doing this  for money. But all that the OP wants to do is take pictures of the kids for posterity. She can do that with a D7000, and a 70-200 f4, total $2400. She can also think of using the 70-300 VR. Total $1800.

To the OP: ARShutterbug is right that great pictures will not happen  right away. Sports/ action photography requires practice. A knowledge of the sport, an ability to be shooting the right player at right time. But you know, that's the fun and the frustration of this hobby. I shoot football for my grandson's team. Fortunately the first couple of times, I tried were practices. The first game I shot produced about 25% usable shots. As you get more experienced, the number of keepers goes up. You're still going to produce some stinkers, but we don't talk about those. Depending upon the lighting, and the lens you choose, and the location that you are shooting from, you may want to be selective about the shots you take.

But it is doable for a lot less than $5000.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D3 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow