standard filters

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?
My slant
In reply to bob5050, Feb 10, 2013

bob5050 wrote:

It's not a matter of not listening, but being out of the thought loop for some 35 years: my last SLR was a Minolta XD-11, and at that time IIRC UV filters were simply standard practice. Perhaps now they're not. News to me.

I have a working SRT-101 and X-700. Would have loved to have an XD-11 but the time has passed.

I have old UV filters from those days. Most of them are now scratched because over the years, careless storage has caused fretting between gear and the front of the lens. The lenses are still ok.

But during the film days, I seldom or never thought to check for flare caused by filters. In digital, I am more likely to shoot, look at the LCD and see "ghosts" within a few seconds. I had bottom range Hoya and took them all off but recently bought an expensive-for-me lens and I found filter flare irritating - I use a lens hood mostly. So I bought my first B+W nano coated filter. That and this lens attracts finger smudges like no other. See:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8049091537/the-uv-filter

As to an environment like that--yes, vacation photographer, carrying camera all day, and potentially where it's quite dusty and I don't have easy immediate access to a full cleaning kit. Or anything else particularly clean. No, I never ruined a lens.

bob

I have one micro fibre cloth that I use second and first I use a brush end of the lens pen and then then the felt part of a lens pen.

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow