Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steppenwolfer
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?
Yesterday in Venice, Italy with E-PL3
Feb 10, 2013

For the third year in a row, I went to Venice during carnival. This year I decided to take along only my m4/3 system, as a live test if I can survive without my D300s and big lenses which I had with me previous year.

So, last year I was carrying D300s, Nikkor 105 /2.8, Nikkor 50/1.4, Tamron 17-50/2.8. Quiet some weight for carrying around whole day.

But this year I felt really free. I had E-PL3 with VF-2, Panasonic 20/1.7, Olympus 45/1.8 and 12-50 (for 12mm only).

As mentioned, I wanted to see if I can do with m4/3 and how it will behave compared to Nikon system.

All in all, I am quiet satisfied with results. AF is definitely faster with Nikon, but mostly this was not a problem, since AF was mostly fast enough. But in low light there were instances, that I missed shot or two due to slow AF (that was with Olympus 45 lens). Also, I think I still like optical viewfinder more than electronic one, although VF-2 is quiet good. Also, sensor in E-PL3 is little worse than the one in D300s, which is evident in some of photos. I believe that if I would compare it with E-PL5 story would be different. In some cases I could notice that subject separation is harder to achieve, since DOF is little bit wider than with Nikon APS-C. But mostly that was not a problem. It was great experience to put lenses in my pockets and was able to chenge them really quickly and without fussing with photo bag. I also noticed, that some masks were not taking me seriously since I had little "toy" camera :D.

Few photos:

sea over sidewalk

canal in Burano

For more photos you are more than welcome to check photoset on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93055168@N04/sets/72157632729085702/

steppenwolfer's gear list:steppenwolfer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Nikon D300S Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow