Wide lens of choice?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,344
Like?
This is wrong
In reply to Dylthedog, Feb 10, 2013

Dylthedog wrote:

I've got an E-PL5 with a Panny 20mm, Oly 45mm and the kit lens (plus some longer Oly and Panny options) but I'd quite like higher quality wide option. The Panny 20mm is pretty much welded to the camera and right now I use the kit if I want wider, but clearly that's not going to deliver the best quality.

I looked on Photozone and while the Oly 12mm review is good the actual samples left me quite underwhelmed; they didn't seem that much better than the Oly 9-18mm. I've ruled out the Panny 14mm as it's small (which is good) but no better than the kit lens as far as I can see. Compact is important to me so that is a shame TBH. The Panny 7-14mm is a bit more than I want to pay right now, though I hear it's very good.

So my question to DPR people is how have you found the 12mm f2? Are the Photozone samples representative or not? Anyone got the and the 9-18mm - if so, what's your view?

Thanks!

This is just as was said in the other thread about prime-only shooters with snobby attitudes:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50822454

I am very good at pixel peeping, and I can't tell that the Panasonic 14mm prime has any better image quality than the kit lens that comes with the E-PL5. In fact, just the opposite, I think the kit lens has better image quality because there are less chromatic aberration correction artifacts in the corners of the image.

While certainly there are lenses that go wider than the kit lens, they don't all produce better image quality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow