Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Myer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660
Like?
Canon 70-300 IS USM vs 70-300 L IS USM
Feb 9, 2013

I am currently using a T2i (550) crop camera. That probably won't change to a FF but eventually will be replaced by a newer model (in a year or 2) or somewhat upgraded model. I'm satisfied with it. My walkaround and general travel lense is a 15-85.

First I'd like to get my assumptions out of the way. I have to assume that the focus is faster and more accurate and the images are sharper using the "L" lens (see subject line). Correct?

Excluding price.

Does anybody have experince with both or either of these lenses?

I am not getting any younger and I go on at least one trip a year to national parks. I like to photograph landscapes, scenery using the 15-85 and wildlife. I currently use a 55-250 for distance but it's under-powered. I realize that 300 cropped is only 80mm more but that will help and 400mm is too heavy for me to lug around (see below).

I would like something with more reach, sharper and produces a better quality image.

I carry a small tripod for waterfalls but not on long hikes (up to 5 miles each way for me is long). Size and weight are very much an issue. That and price is why I have a 55-250.

If the two 70-300 lenses were close in focus, sharpness and anything else but noticibly better than the 55-250 I would be tempted to go with the non-L because of size and weight (let's ignore price for this conversation).

If the "DO" lense deserves to be in the mix then by all means include it.

Thanks for any comments that will help me make a decision.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow