Will the Sony RX1 offer solutions I am looking for?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Muizen -Belgium
Regular MemberPosts: 367Gear list
Like?
Will the Sony RX1 offer solutions I am looking for?
Feb 9, 2013

I shoot with Leica M9 and Summilux 35 and 50mm and with Elmarit 28 and 90 mm. My problem is that I have a slight hand shake problem. In addition I more and more dislike to carry the weight of the M9 and four lenses of over 2.100 grams around.

A third problem is that I am spoiled by the really fantastic IQ which the FF sensor of my M9 produces, and as a result can only consider the IQ of non FF cameras a serious step back in IQ!

I have been studying all kind of options for addressing the hand shake, looking for cameras with built-in AS that can take my Leica glass. I ended up with the X-Pro, XE1, Em5 that can use Leica glass, but the Fuji's have no AS, the Em5 does but esp in the Em5, my lenses all become tele lenses due to the multiplier of 2. In addition the IQ of these cameras can absolutely not get close to the IQ of the M9 that I like so much. FF Nikon/Canon cameras are all far too heavy and bulky to enjoy walking around with.

However I did run into one camera that get's close to my wishes: the FF Sony XR1 with 35mm fixed top quality lens. But the RX1 has no AS and no VF and shooting with the LCD while sticking my hands in the air, does certainly not reduce my hand shake! To solve that problem I will purchase the excellent EVF that RX1 offers.

Now my most important question: is my expectation correct that the excellent ISO and low noise performance of the RX1 will make it possible to shoot in far higher shutter speeds than the M9 can handle, due to its mediocre ISO noise performance?
If this observation is correct will this then solve part of my hand shake problem?

Since the the RX1 is smaller than the MP and its weight (with lens) only 482 g against the M9 with Summi 35mm 920 g, it will also be a pleasure to carry the RX1 around.

When I can decide to purchase the RX1 I will sell my M9 which will pay for the investment and sell my Leica glass or keep it for you never know situations! Leica glass is a good investment!

Thank you all for your thoughts and advise!

-

Harry

Muizen -Belgium's gear list:Muizen -Belgium's gear list
Sony RX1
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow