Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,845Gear list
Like?
Finally settled on a RAW workflow/tool
Feb 9, 2013

After evaluating Silkypix Pro5 and Capture 1 Pro7 for three weeks, I finally decided on Silkypix for three reasons....

1. It actually has more accurate colour, better resolution and less colour bleed.

2. It does not have "yetanotherimagecatalogue" which you get with C1 pro (I prefer to use LR since I have 70k catalogued images already loaded). It is also a pain to use if you do all your fine retouching in Photoshop after conversion (which I do). C1 more or less insists on doing it all.

3. As I already had an older version I got an upgrade from mysys.nl for €70. If you have Fuji Raw Processor you can also get a discount, though not as much.

SP Pro5 is more powerful, and does a better job than the Fuji free version, though the main difference is the default colour map and HDR/Dodging tool. I have also built a number of default tastes which I use for sharpening, colour rendition and contrast.

I have not even tried integrating SP5 into my LR workflow, because I realised it's a lot easier to review the shots in SP before loading them into the LR catalogue. I just open up each new folder copied from the SD card directly in SP5 and produce a fairly some basic 16bit TIFF conversions with as much DR as I can, from the choice shots. I then import the whole folder into LR, but only move the TIFFs to the "collection" space where I do the editing from.

LR does a great job on the resulting TIFFs, and I have the option to open them directly in PS before or after the LR adjustments.

I can also use the same workflow with Capture NX2, which does a better job than LR with my D600 RAW files as well.

Much as I liked C1 pro, I just found it tried to be too many things and was not easy to use as a stand-alone RAW converter, something that SP5 is fine for.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow