wireless flash on NEX 7

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
Re: wireless flash on NEX 7
In reply to Brian Caslis, Feb 9, 2013

Brian Caslis wrote:

All camera manufacturers use optical triggering for their remote flash systems, Sony, Nikon, Canon, and Olympus are ones I've used.

Only third-party products use radio frequencies. Look at the slave flashes, they have these little red windows that receive infra-red frequencies of light. They do not use radios.

According to my understanding of these things, you seem to be conflating things.

Optical means visual. Thus, optical firing methods involve visible light. Any remote flash—even those without built-in optical sensors—can be fired by the light emitted by a camera-fired flash if the remote flash is connected to an optical slave unit. The slave has a little sensor, and a socket into which the flash cord plugs. When the slave sensor receives a flash of light, it  generates an electrical pulse and sends it to the flash. The sensor will pick up bounced light from the trigger flash, so it is not necessary that the trigger flash and target flash be in a direct line of sight with each other.

Infrared involves wavelengths out of visible range, so i assume that infrared firing technology is different, at least in nomenclature. I don't think it can be called "optical." And infrared triggering needs to have a direct line of sight from source to target.

Radio wavelengths are longer than IR, which, in turn are longer than visible.

I'm still searching for an "official" description of how the Sony system works.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow