Supply customer prints or disk only?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vegasluvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
Re: Supply customer prints or disk only?
In reply to Photomonkey, Feb 9, 2013

I used to use Costco exclusively but when I noticed a lot of other professional photographers in the same dilemma, I decided to create a niche market . . . serving the professional photographers needs.

Initially, I kicked around the idea of catering to professional photographers only and when I was out shooting professional sports I asked these guys an gals if I opened a lab would they use my services.

I shoot professional and collegiate sports so prints are rare for this industry but for my youth sports that is where I have competition with other photographers using Costco or some other labs that charge about the same rates I do. I had to lower my fees or I would lose clients. I decided if these guys were going to cut prices, I would too. Southern Nevada and Southern California has steep competition so if we do not match prices, we lose.

Only difference between us and our competition labs is that we run test strips every three hours and after paper emulsion change. Our monitors are also calibrated at least three times a day especially for large print orders.

My professional photographer clients are charged a certain price which is very competitive and they sell the prints at their set prices. We still make a good profit on this pricing.

Where we make up the difference is in related sales like in frames, matting or gift item sales which normally has a 200%-250% mark up.

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow