Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,089Gear list
Like?
Re: Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?
In reply to gwlaw99, Feb 9, 2013

I realize the CP helps the contrast, and that alone makes it look better, but the sharpness difference is pretty easy to see.    And the filter takes a bit of that sharpness away from the 24-70 too.

Just look at the lettering on the signage in the shots and it's easy to tell, along with distant details.

Of course the deck is really stacked in favor of the 24-70 in this comparison, as it's really an excellent lens, while the 18-200 has got to be Nikon's least sharp modern lens.

Still, all lenses have apertures, or focal ranges, or focus distances where they are worse than otherwise, and you should know that so as to allow for it.   In my 18-200 / 24-70 comparison, I was not seeing the 18-200 at it's best, which in my opinion is closer ranges.  (A lot of portraits and group portraits would fall into that range.)   Here is an 18-200 shot that I think looks just fine.   I don't know that a comparison 80-200F2.8 shot would look much different, and this was with the 18-200's 'worst' - 200mm wide open.

D80 18-200

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow