Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,795Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 600D focus prior to shooting
In reply to EladRichi, Feb 9, 2013

EladRichi wrote:

Hi all!
just wondering if any of you encountered this. I was out shooting birds (not "shooting" shooting") with my canon 600D, i got a good composition for an instant and pressed the shutter button. the AF motor kicked in and ruined the focus and prevented the shutter from firing...
i tested that later on a Nikon D80, and the shutter fired when pressed even if focus wasn't achieved. does any of you know how to overcome this?
i would imagine my camera needs to release the shutter when i say, and not when it decides it got focus confirmation.
any thoughts?

The AF modes One-Shot and AI Focus will refocus with each lift then repress of the shutter button. If the system cannot confirm focus on a target then it will not release the shutter.

To fire the shutter on command regardless of focus:

• set AF mode to AI Servo, or
  • set the lens for manual focus, or
  • use the custom function to remove AF activation from the shutter button (C.Fn 9 = 1 or 3, p. 256 of the instruction manual)
-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow