Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vegasluvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
The Internet is Killing Brick & Mortar Stores
Feb 9, 2013

Let's face it. Camera/video stores as we know it are slowly becoming a relic of the past. I remember when I first worked at a Camera Store. They had Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Contax, Hasselblad, Polaroid, Vivitar, Sigma, Tamron plus a few varieties of tripods stacked to the ceiling. There was no "Wait List", "Back-Orders" or "Pre-Sales".

The store I worked for had Canon Speedlite 577G, 199A, Motor Drive FN and MA's stacked for quick sale.

Today even in major camera/video stores you will be lucky to find they even have the camera or lens you want in stock! They tell you they can order it and it will arrive in a week.

Normally, I buy my equipment from a local dealer to help keep them in business even though B&H Photo and Adorama sells the equipment cheaper. But my local camera store does not have the Canon 1Dx in stock nor do they have a EF100-400L lens! Their Canon display is ONE display case. Back in 1979 my former employer had five Canon display cases packed with point and shoot through high end SLRs!

Consumers go into Best Buy, handle and touch product then goes directly to Amazon.com or the Internet to buy the product! So Amazon and the Internet companies, without even working for their money, gets a free sale . . . The loser is the brick and mortar stores.

I heard a store owner tell a person, "You always come in here picking our brains for answers and help and then go on the Internet to buy your gear. Go and call them for your technical or service advice". One dealer said he now charges customers for his technical advice if he does not recognize them as customers. If a non-customer brings in equipment for service, he charges $30 to ship it out (cost of boxing up the product and shipping charge).

I admit for my automobiles and motorcycle, I buy parts off the Internet because the local dealers are so expensive. I had to replace a headlight bulb in my Toyota truck. My local Toyota dealer wanted $35 for the bulb. I found a Toyota dealer online that sold it for $26 plus $3 shipping!

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow