Sony Alpha A290 - good choice for complete newbie?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard the picture man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831
Like?
Re: Sony Alpha A290 - good choice for complete newbie?
In reply to anniem319, Feb 9, 2013

No. Live View is not essential. Remember that live view, rear screens and all things digital are new technology and people have been taking incredible photos for the last 100 years without this tech.

That`s not to say that modern technology is bad, on the contrary, it is fantastic. However, in my opinion it is more important to remember that any modern dslr camera will take good pictures given the photographer knows how to use it. All camera brands have enough extras (lenses, flash units etc.) available to satisfy pretty well everyone`s photo needs. ​But​ the cameras will handle and be controlled in different ways, this handling and controlability is what gives you the photographer pleasure, satisfaction and the desire to keep going and improve your skills.

My advice to all people starting out on this incredible photographic journey is to personally try as many brands as possible. Make sure they are comfortable in your hands, the view finder is big and bright, you have easy controls for changing - exposure mode - ISO - shutter speed - aperture - checking depth of field - exposure bracketing - white balance - exposure compensation. In short, ask the shop assistant / friend etc. to show you where these controls are, then you can make your choice based on how much ​you​ like a particular design. Remember, it is ​your money​ and it is ​you ​who will be using it. Once you have your camera use it as much as possible learning one bit at a time, ask loads of questions and you will have so much pleasure.

One more thing, do not become a fan boy of any particular make. Whichever camera you go for there will always be someone with a different make taking better pictures than you, or me !

Good luck with your choice and please post your pictures.

-- hide signature --

Regards - Richard
Happy guy with a K5
N.B. All my Images, even the bad ones, are Protected by Copyright

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow