Please help a beginner with a DSLR purchase decision. Thanks.

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
anniem319
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Please help a beginner with a DSLR purchase decision. Thanks.
Feb 9, 2013

I just purchased my first ever DSLR after a lifetime of point and shoot, and I'm hoping I got a good model for my uses.   I have 14 days to return it, so I'm hoping some people here can clear up some questions I have.

I am a fine artist, and my primary goal with photography is to improve the reference photos I take for when I'm painting in the studio and not outside.  My primary subject matter has been landscapes, but I've seen myself shifting to candid people shots, cafe scenes and city scapes now as well.

I've read a ton of information on the CCD vs CMOS debate, and I decided I fell on the CCD side.  I just don't see the same richness of color in photos with CMOS.  Again, I state, I am a complete beginner, so I'm open to hearing that I'm wrong about that.  I also spoke to a few camera places that said the sensor didn't matter as much as the color space, and that Adobe RGB is what I really want.  That said, I only plan to print these out using my Canon inkjet printer (which is a high quality one for printing images - I'm also a graphic designer, so I needed a strong one for that) and I read that not all devices have the capability to work with the Adobe RGB color space.

I plan on shooting in RAW format and tweaking the images to use for my paintings.  As I stated above, I am a graphic designer, so playing with the images digitally is second nature to me.

I bought the Sony Alpha A290.  It has the CCD sensor, which I like.  It also has image stabilization, which I'm thinking for a beginner like me is probably good. The reviews said it was a good beginner camera for someone with no experience, and I got a good deal on a used one at B&H.  My biggest 2 concerns are these:  it doesn't have Live View, which I've grown accustomed to (I've been shooting with a Canon G12 up till now).  I could go for the A390, but it blows my budget a bit.  Will I miss not have Live View?  Do you experienced photographers find it useful?  And some forums I've read suggest that for an initial investment, Sony is not the way to go.  The lenses are too expensive vs. Canon or Nikon.  Just repeating what I read.

I have no idea how far I will go with photography, since painting is my true love, but just a few shots with this thing in auto mode, and I can see myself getting pretty hooked on this!

I have 14 days to make a decision.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Alpha DSLR-A290 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow