dspoel
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Re: Good responses
In reply to Wyville, Feb 9, 2013

Wyville wrote:

dspoel wrote:

dspoel wrote:

Birding is less in winter, in part because it is difficult to go places, like in forests, unless you can ski. There are nice places around, wetlands and some forests (not a lot of nice forests though because of the ruthless forest industry). With some effort and guidance, e.g. by joining the local birding club, you can find many of the typical boreal species, woodpeckers, owls, grouse, and also some eastern song birds. University is pretty good too - I work there ;-).

-- hide signature --

David.

And lots of white-tailed eagles, local specialty. The record I've read on local bulletin board was over 40.

http://www.artportalen.se/birds/todays.asp

-- hide signature --

David.

Thanks for the info! A lot of interesting bird species, but the white-tailed eagles are really amazing birds. I have been trying to get the birds of prey (mostly buzzards) that I see around here, but have had terrible luck. The only time I managed to get a few pictures I had the same problem you had in the OP. I got the bird, but it was too soft. I'm hoping to have better luck this spring since I now know some places where they can be found during the early morning.

What's your field of science? I'm a biologist and historian/philosopher of biology. Uppsala is obviously very interesting for me due to its history. (I once was given access to some amazing 18th century Dutch translations of Linnaeus' Systema naturae.)

I'm in computational biology/chemistry at the cell and molecular biology department. There are quite some green biologist here that publish about birds :-).

-- hide signature --

David.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow