Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Canon G15 or Panasonic LX7.

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334
Like?
Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Canon G15 or Panasonic LX7.
Feb 9, 2013

I have a Sony RX100, and while in many regards it is a great camera, there are a couple of aspects that are starting to grate with me, and I'm seriously considering selling it and getting either a Canon G15 or Panasonic LX7.

Does this sound crazy considering all the hype around the RX100? The things I find compromise the RX100 as a complete package are:

1. Poor macro performance - can't focus close up unless you're wide.
2. Soft corners - the RX100 has amazing detail, but somehow I prefer a more consistant image across the frame.
3. Poor image stabilisation - almost non-existant in fact.

All these aspects look much better in either the LX7 or G15, so I just want some advice comparing the two.

- ISO performance looks better on the G15 - possibly by around 1 stop. But LX7 does make up for this somewhat with a slightly faster (around 0.5 stops) lens. Even so, I'd still give the G15 the win here.

- G15 has longer tele (140mm), LX7 is wider (24mm)

- LX7 has articulating LCD - G15 has viewfinder

- LX7 better suited to video with more modes, 1080p and articulating screen. But I'm happy with 720p to be honest - is the video and audio quality any better on one or the other or are they much the same?

- LX7 a bit cheaper

Does this pretty much cover it or is there anything else to consider? And am I really crazy to consider either of these cameras over the much heralded RX100?

Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow