Olympus' Toshi Terada discusses the future of Four Thirds and compacts

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,694Gear list
Like?
Re: Four Thirds upgrade cycles
In reply to olympus620, Feb 9, 2013

olympus620 wrote:

This article is 3 years old but tells a lot about the sensor sizes from that time forward. I wonder if he still feels the same way regarding 20 megapixel cameras. Today was the first time seeing this article for myself. I was disapointed with the E-5 sensor size but now I understand why it wasn't any bigger. Quality not quantity.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10189546-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

"Olympus: 12 megapixels is enough for most folks

Most folks don't need more than 12 megapixels, an Olympus SLR leader says, so now is the time to improve other qualities. Also: expect big changes in autofocus."

I agree. Honestly for my uses the E1's 5MP was enough. The problem isn't the MP count, it's the noise floor and DR. I got a D7000 so I could shoot higher iso shots without cringing thinking about all the PP it would take to clean it up. I can pull the shadows up like crazy if needed without excessive noise etc. This is what the OM-D can do that no olympus dSLR has ever been able to do. It's not the size of the sensor nor the MP that cripples their dSLR bodies, it's the sensor designs they have chosen to use.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow