Why is EVF a negative thing?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
hedwards
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
Re: Why is EVF a negative thing?
In reply to Alphabart, Feb 9, 2013

I've used both. And EVF just isn't anywhere near ready for primetime.

It has a couple of advantages in that it can show the histogram and zebra striping in real time. And it's easier for newbies to visual what the exposure will look like. And they're brilliant when shooting IR.

But, they're terrible for manual focusing, they suck down batteries much faster than an OVF, they're stop working in the cold more quickly. Cause the loss of resolution due to excessive heating of the sensor and the subsequent noise. You lose battery life every time you frame a shot, whether or not you ultimately take it.

Like I've said, I've used an EVF before and I don't miss it when I'm shooting with a dSLR.And the only reason I bought that camera in the first place was that I really needed something that was supremely flexible.

They may eventually become the dominant thing, but the resolution is way too low for that. The only people I've seen advocating for them are people who don't spend much time outside and don't understand the technology involved. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the folks that I've run across that like EVFs haven't understood the technology in either cases.

I do, however, like the newer LCD overlays that Canon added to their line.

I also get the feeling that the folks who are praising EVFs haven't spent much time using a proper OVF.

For hobbyists and people who don't need to know that their gear is going to work in a variety of conditions, I'm sure they're fine. But, I spend too much time in the cold and away from power to screw around with something that's probably 10 years or more away from being ready for wildlife and other outdoor photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow