Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,679
Like?
Re: Laptop for Photography Advice... Budget $2500-$3000
In reply to surve, Feb 9, 2013

surve wrote:

PS What's your thoughts on the rest of the laptop´╗┐

I'm not familiar with that model or brand.

However, the basic specs look fine except for the disk.

My Lenovo came with a 5400rpm 1TB HDD and boot time, launching apps, the Explorer context menu and more all seemed a big sluggish to me. It was quite a bit slower than my desktop machine (Q6600 CPU and SSD). Once I added the SSD to the laptop, the darn thing flew and it became noticeably faster than my desktop.

i7 processor, 8GB (or more) of RAM, a SSD system drive takes care of the horsepower.

After that, it comes down to a lot of personal preferences on the display, ergonomics, and other bells and whistles (Bluetooth, video card, webcams, audio/speakers etc.).

And, as with any laptop, you want to spend some time getting comfortable that you're going with the right physical size, weight, and battery life compromises. For example, I have a 14 inch screen which is a bit on the small side but I decided I really didn't want to carry a 17 incher on those long trips. I had an old 14 inch machine and one of my kids has a 17 inch so I was able to compare the two first hand and make a reasonably informed choice. Actually, I had a significantly smaller budget too and the Lenovo plus SSD came in at about $1000.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow