Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,025Gear list
Like?
Re: tesi
In reply to tesilab, Feb 9, 2013

tesilab wrote:

I cook my files too.

However, I think Ming Thein put it well on his article of what makes a outstanding image:

(From http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/10/06/outstanding-1/ )

"Generally speaking, a good image is properly exposed for the subject, is in focus, and doesn’t take processing to the extremes. The executional characteristics of the image should not be the first thing you notice when you look at the photograph: you can overdo it**. They should support the compositions, but not detract of outweigh it. This is one of the things I don’t like about overdone HDR, Instagram and other photo apps – the processing is so overdone to the point that fundamental compositional structure is overshadowed, and any flaws hidden. You only see the processing, and not the subject."

Thanks for sharing this link, tesilab. I've glanced at it and it looks like a worthwhile read... saved it to spend time reading it later.

I think the problem is that this is largely the same sort of debate as people might have over which is the best kind of music: rock, rap, or dance. I have my (strong) opinions on the matter, and other people have (equally strong) different opinions. Perhaps because I was a painter in my distant youth, I don't feel that photos need always to be perfectly in focus or need to look realistic. I don't mind if a photographer 'cooks' the image so much it's completely removed from reality (check out these solarised photos by Man Ray, many of which are considered classics). But others will have very different views....

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow