Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,080
Like?
The P7100 goes hiking
Feb 9, 2013

I'd been going nearly blind staring at my monitor working on pics for various jobs. Finally today I stood up and just ran out the house, P7100 in hand. Time for a hike and get some sunshine in my eyes!

What a relief to be outdoors. The area I was at isn't that interesting in the winter, Springtime is nuts with all the wildflowers, summer is great too, but today it was kind of brown but sunny!

I had to look for things to continue my P7100 testing. One is, I've been disappointed in its ability to focus on close up stuff, flower heads and such. Pushing the round selector knob down to "flower" has never done anything. Selecting "Spot focus" has done nothing for me, even in combination with "flower". For that matter, selecting "Mountain (infinity)" has been worthless as well, as in: I know some geese are going to be flying overhead. I don't want to deal with focus wandering, I just want the P7100 to focus on infinity and only infinity so it doesn't have to make a decision when they fly overhead. "Mountain (infinity)" does not do that and it's nothing but misfocus. But I digress.

So I'm out today next to a barbed wire fence and am determined to figure this out. "Flower" misfocuses contantly, whether I have "Auto" focus or "center weighed" focus or "spot focus". Then I go into the Scene menu and, lo and behold, there's "Close Up". And that actually focuses like I want. Gotta keep experimenting with this camera to figure out how it works.

Then, I try "Manual focus area" (not to be confused with "Manual focus". For some reason that could lock focus as well, as a few of these pics will testify. Why "Auto area focus" mode can't lock onto the barbed wire when that's the only thing near is still a mystery.

(using up an edit here):  I tweaked my White Balance per Sunshine Boy which is:  one down toward Magenta, one over toward blue because I use ADL and that's what he suggests to tone down the greenish tendency the P7100 jpegs have.

Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow