Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoannaR
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?
Lighting Kit for Pet/Food/Portraits/Event
Feb 9, 2013

I know there likely isn't 1 perfect product for all these scenarios but use your imagination.  : )

I'm going to specialize in documentary pet photography (primarily dogs and cats and possibly horses) with a side business of food photography and photojournalistic essays (environmental portraits, etc.) So I need a portable lighting setup that can be used sans outlet, and I'm leaning more towards continuous light vs. strobe (so as not to scare pets).

I'll be utilizing a lot of natural light for all of these genres, so I don't need something so powerful that it's producing ALL of the light, more for just fill/kicker lights.

I really don't know the first thing about lighting and even reading dozens of tutorials doesn't really narrow down what I should be looking for.

Any suggestions?  Should I be looking at strobes anyways?  Keep in mind I plan to get an on-camera flash unit too but I'm looking for something so I can really craft the light to be as flattering as possible.

Thank you!

JoannaR's gear list:JoannaR's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow