70-200 f2.8 - I vs II?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
kyjy
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
Re: 70-200 f2.8 - I vs II?
In reply to Dr. Leonard, Feb 9, 2013

I don't own either but I regularly rent the 70-200 f/2.8, whichever model they happen to have, so I get lots of shooting time with all three.

The II is definitely better than the I, but this in no way means there's anything wrong with the I, or that it will leave you wanting.  The pictures I get from the I still blow me away every time, to the point that I'm thinking of buying the II IS version second-hand. There's really nothing I can fault it on.  Even on the 7D, pictures are very very sharp.

The I IS is meant to be less sharp than the I non-IS, but I really don't see a practical difference.  My only concern with the I models is that they are not fully weather-sealed.  Still, they're made to very tight tolenrances and will handle a bit of light rain without any problem.   The first few times I hired them I thought, wrongly, that all L lenses were weather sealed, and consequently spent four days in the rain at a music festival in Wales.  No problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow