Prime Shooters vs Zoom Lens Appreciators

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
Re: making a mountain out of a molehill
In reply to kenw, Feb 9, 2013

kenw wrote:

And prime shallow DoF also allows for faster sloppier background control.

You won't get disagreement from me there!  I fall into that practice on FF myself.  It is easier to get a good shot when I only need to focus on the subject, and I can delete the distractions from the background.

No - I've always found the opposite. I'm thinking far more carefully about composition with a zoom than with a prime. And yet what you refer to above is the standard trope on photography forums.

Unless I live in a very unique place in the world, the vast majority of zoom use is thoughtless.  Many of the photographers I have chided to use primes ("Its dark, how can I get a picture without flash? What, but I have to MOVE MY BODY TO FRAME?!?") see the act of changing perspective as impediment to their photography.  Stand in place, see something interesting, zoom to frame, and shoot.  Primes imposing perspective adjustment generally has a positive affect on results - assuming users don't give up too soon.  It is much easier to do good work with zooms after learning the fundamentals of photography... but I still think most of my prime images are better than what I manage with zooms, even ten years into the game.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Who?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow