Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: sorry, I don't see what you are claiming
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Feb 8, 2013

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Probably better

I really wish that this was true, but when I look at the RAW images in the studio shot comparison, the d600 is clearly about a stop better at high ISO, than the d5200. IOW, to my eyes, ISO 3200 on the d5200 about the same as ISO 6400 on the d600. This is true at low ISO's as well. ISO 400 on the d600 looks like ISO 200 on the d5200, to me. The d600 files at ISO 200 are remarkably clean. No surprise there, really, because FX has always been better than DX at the same MPs.

At the 100% view, the d5100 files look better to me, than the d5200 files. Perhaps when the d5200 files are downsized, they'll look as good as the d5100 files, I don't know.

All things considered, I'm quite impressed with the IQ of the d5200. I think that the Toshiba sensor does a pretty remarkable job, considering the number of pixels crammed into the sensor. The low ISO photos look good, only a little less acuity than the d600 files, but a little more acuity than the d5100 files.

I don't see anything that would make me want to give up my d7000 or d5100 though. I'm rather disappointed, actually. I'd hoped that Nikon would significantly better the high ISO performance of their DX cameras. It seems clear that they have the capability to build a better performing 16mp sensor at high ISO, but they've chosen instead to go for MP's.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that this new sensor is pretty good and will make a lot of folks happy, especially those that have no need for a lot of high ISO shooting. I think it's very likely that Nikon and Toshiba will have a popular camera in the d5200.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

I'm seeing a d5200 which is as good or better than a 6d and similar to a 600d and far superior to a d7k @iso6400 in raw and jpg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CallNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow