Nocton at Night

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,565Gear list
Like?
Re: Better get a concealed carry Bob.....
In reply to tedolf, Feb 8, 2013

tedolf wrote:

some of those neighborhoods (sp?) look rough.

No. 4 is fantastic.

Thank you.

You were asking how certain B&W styles are accomplished.   Not having worked with B&W film I always had a hard time with B&W digital.  Michael Freeman is an author that helped understand how to pull from digital conversions what is possible for B&W.  I can't explain what I do now, except for the in-camera JPG settings (I shoot JPG + RAW for night work, mono JPGs often all I need).  For that I shoot with a low contrast curve set in camera, low contrast and sharpening in the picture style, and a yellow filter.   What I do in post with sharpening, NR, tones with those I can't explain, the exposure guides me.   But the addition of Clarity (Local Area Contrast as LR does it) always helps.   For the 'what I can't explain' stuff, I think you'd find this book helpful (and there's used ones making the lesson more the bargain).   If there's a formulaic approach, that's not how I take to this (otherwise it could be 'sprained).

The Complete Guide to B&W Digital Photography - Michael Freeman

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow