Nikon (and Canon) they're on to you

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Kaplan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon (and Canon) they're on to you
In reply to Mr Fartleberry, Feb 8, 2013

I know what was said years ago was a lot had to do with the purchased volume.

To most worldwide companies, the head office will sell the products to each countries distributor. The USA has a way higher volume than Canada does so in general you will see higher prices here for those items. This is supposedly the case for Nikon for example which is why a Nikon USA warranty is not valid here. It is NOT valid in the case of Canon because Canon USA owns Canon Canada so they have a shared volume. At that point there is possibly more costs (possibly... shipping duties etc) but also companies will price stuff differently depending on the market and what they can suck us for. Now I say supposedly because it used to be but on cameras and lenses it is not now... (see below).

I remember years ago as an example, my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS was $2999.00 retail here and selling for $1999.00 or below in the USA. I bought it from a well known seller from China for only $1586 (talk about price gouging) and of course back then there was also an much higher exchange rate which also accounted for higher pricing in Canada. Years later the retail had dropped in Canada to $1999.00 so somewhere there was some pricing fixed to a more equal footing. Now, as an example the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is 2299 at B&H and $2099.00 at Vistek and can be had for less from other reputable places so Canon doesn't always have that price gouging anymore. At least, not on their expensive items. Now for accessories, prices are higher here and shouldn't be at lease not by much. I used to buy my cameras and lenses mostly from the USA many years ago but now all my cameras and lenses are bought locally. I prefer doing that anyway. I guess I should also bring up Nikon. They are not owned by Nikon USA which was nice with Canon's situation because Canon honored invoices from authorized USA stores for Canadian warranty claims... nice. I just bought the Nikkor 70-200 f/4G ED VR locally. Got a great deal whereas B&H has it for $1386 and Vistek $1299 and again can be had cheaper. Again right now Canadians are paying less for the lens then in the USA but again accessory pricing stinks.

Also take a look at this... Fair??
http://www.photoprice.ca/article/photoprice-silenced-by-canon
I think not... but that was March 2012

The companies do what is best for the company, not what is best for the consumer.
--

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Samsung HZ30W Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow