LR vs Elements

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: LR vs Elements
In reply to John Deerfield, Feb 8, 2013

John Deerfield wrote:

My confusion is this..............I have hear that elements is more a beginner interface with the basics.....but then I am hearing from others that they thought elements is hard to understand and LR is easier. I am coming from not using any PP other then what Kodak easyshare software was able to do lol so it wasn't much. My mind is blank on all of this. I have played in faststone but really thats it. If I don't know what a term means I will google so Im ok with that.

Once again, Elements is two programs whereas Lightroom is one. In part, it's a mental process: two programs are harder to learn than one. To give you an example, you can't simply double-click on an image in the Organizer and have it open up in the Editor. You need to specifically tell the Organizer to open the image up in the Editor. Many people in my classes found that confusing. But here's the thing: it works like that in Lightroom as well. In any case, I can strongly agree with getting the Elements Book by Scott Kelby . Do get the latest version, Elements 11. The interface changed quite a bit in v11.

Another question..........I usually view all of my pics that I haven't already deleted off my camera in faststone so I can delete from there as well if needed. Can you delete directly from Elements?

I haven't used fastone so I don't know how it works. For Elements, I would first import all of my images (this is done in the Organizer). You can then delete anything you don't want from the Organizer.

Will I need DPP if I download Elements???

Personal Choice. If you shoot Raw, then arguably, the camera makers software is going to give you the best possible Raw conversion. For 99% of the world, the Raw conversion that Adobe will do is more than good enough. In which case, you wouldn't need DPP.

Thanks everyone! I really really appreciate all this great info. Its a bit overwhelming starting out in this whole photography process.

It never ends. You never stop learning. You never stop spending money. Get out while you can!

Finally. Should I just be shooting raw or raw+jpeg? Can you just upload raw and be done with it or do you have to process it if you want to share it. Sorry if thats a silly question. Remember....Im new

The Raw file must be processed in order to be able to "share" it with someone. And this is a workflow issue that Bill tried to explain before. The problem is that it is very hard to explain via a forum. It is really something that must be experienced! In my class, I budget 1.5 days out of six for the Organizer. I have had some classes use as many as 3 days just so they can get their heads wrapped around the Organizer (Lightroom would be any different). Although I personally recommend shooting Raw + JPEG, from a beginners standpoint I would choose one or the other, and your best choice is Raw. Now the question is, how do you "share" your JPEGs now? If you shoot Raw, you then download the images to the Organizer (no different that if you shot JPEG). Elements has built in tool to allow you to upload an image to say Flikcr. It has built in tools to allow you to burn a CD. And so on. And with these tools, Elements will automatically create a JPEG for you. If you want to do something outside of what Elements would automatically do, then you would need to export a JPEG file out of the Organizer in order to share it (and it would be the same way in Elements). Again, it is strongly recommended that you get the Kelby book to wrap your head around all of this.

Lisa

And $70 for Elements isn't bad. I have seen specials for less but I wouldn't hold my breath on something like that. And even $70 is a steal for the software (Lightroom = $120 and Photoshop = $600). One last thing, there is also the option to pick up Elements bundled with Elements Premiere. Premiere is the video editing software side of things. If you are doing video this might be an obvious choice, however, with Premiere you can also create slideshows of your images if that is something of interest to you.

Thank you very much! Really! Im working on a laptop so if I can get rid of the DPP on it and just use the PSE that would be great. The idea of having to use different programs for different things at this point is just too much haha and the space it takes up too! I downloaded the trial and am gonna play with it a little and if I like I am buying along with the book!

Thank you again!

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow