Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Werner Gansz
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
Sample pics using the 24-85mm (D600 kit lens) on a D7000
Feb 8, 2013

I've been shooting without a midrange zoom for about a year and only using the 35mm, f/1.8 to cover the gap between the 10-24mm and the 70-300mm VR. I also have the 85mm, f/1.8 when I want very narrow DOF. This kit works fine when I'm out by myself. I can take the time to set up shots to make the lenses work. It hasn't worked well while traveling with family, just too much lens changing.

IR's lens review data showing the 24-85mm, f/3.5-4.5 VRII on a D7000 is pretty impressive

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1526/cat/13

After Nikon's Christmas D600 kit sale which basically gave the lens away for free there are hundreds of brand new kit lenses on Ebay auctions. Most are selling for about 60% of Amazon's new price. I picked one up for $350.

I tuned up the AF fine-tune using FocusTune software (which it didn't need) and went for a outing with it. So far I have no reason to doubt the IR data. (I've studied IR's data for every lens I've owned and pretty much agree with their results for them also.)

Pros:

• excellent optics, no need to avoid the ends of the focal range with aperture wide open. 
  • works well with 10-24mm (or the 12-24mm) 
  • VR II is stunning.

This is my first VR II lens, the viewfinder freezes when VR is engaged. Even at 85mm I was able to get 2 out 4 sharp shots at 1/4 sec during testing. With a monopod 4 out of 4.

Cons:

• 24mm is not wide enough unless you have one of the wide angle zooms. For me 24mm is a very useful landscape focal length for DX. If I want to go wider than that I usually want to go to down to the 10-14mm range. I looked at my usage on the 10-24 for a year and 50% of all keepers were at 10mm, 25% at 24mm, the rest scattered though the range.)
  • Yet another filter size, 72mm
  • The barrel is a bit fat so it feels tight when carrying the camera in my right hand with gloves on, but not when shooting with gloves on.

Some sample pics are below.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow