Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Yin Yang
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Officially one of yours ;-)
Feb 8, 2013

Today, I've just received my EM5+14-42mm, 45mm and 9-18mm. It's the final goodbye of my old and faithfull E510 after 5 years of loyal services.

I've spent few hours to configure it to my taste. Thanks to DPR article (and few others sites) it's been much more easy than expected after reading dreadful experiences here.

Despite an awful light in my appartement I ran some few tests and shots. Nothing new for you all I guess but.... Man! After all these year with my 510 I'm blow away by... well, everything.

Those things I feared:

-handling: I handled it in store and wasn't really convinced but after this afternoon en tête-à-tête I must admit it's much better than I expected. Yes, the grip could have been deeper but overall it fits well in my hands. I think I'll use it mainly with two hands but in a different way than my dslr.

-ergonomic: so far so good. Buttons have a weird touch indeed but respond well.

The things I expected:

-body quality is superb, it feels solid and eavy. Lenses are incredibly tiny and light. 12-42mm shows more deformation at wide end than its 4/3 counterpart though. The 45mm is great, I've just sell the ZD 50mm and from what I saw it's at least the same quality but focus is fast. I'll miss the semi-macro capacity I think but it can't do everything.

-AF is really lighting fast. I'll get use to it quickly

-I seldomly went more than 400ISO with my 510 du to the horrible IQ above this 400. So putting the auto ISO to 1600 is a big shock. I haven't dared above for now but results are quite pleasing so far.

-the worst part of my 510 was the narrow DR. Do I need to explain?

Things I didn't expect:

-the white balance: WOWOWOWOW! As I told you I took some shots, they were under plain artificial light. Once again, with my previous camera I didn't bother shooting under those circumstances. Here the results are perfectly fine. Gosh, the WB is spot on and colors are still pleasing. Olympus you did a great job on that!

Conclusion:

I'm delighted. My interest in photography kind of fade away those last months but I know I'll take more and more shots in the next months. Not only because I have a new toy. Because it allows me to shoot under circumstances almost impossible for my previous camera. I feel it doesn't intrude in photographic process. You compose, you press the shutter, et voilà! It does it job. Without AF hunting, badly exposing, obliging me to make compromises or choosing carefully my ISO level. It just doesn't get in the way.

-- hide signature --

L'expérience est une lampe accrochée dans le dos, elle n'éclaire que le chemin parcouru. Lao Tseu
http://yinetyang.deviantart.com/

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow