How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sdaniella
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: How good is the original 5D compared to 5DMkII/III and the 2013 Canon's?
In reply to gromero, Feb 8, 2013

gromero wrote:

I'm seeing the original 5D Mark 1 body's for sale for very cheap now.

My question is, considering this was a ground breaking full frame camera launched in 2005, have the amateur enthusiast range now caught up with the original 5D (I use the 600D, which is almost identical in IQ to the current 650D) in terms of IQ?

Or does the full frame sensor on the original 5D still offer superior IQ compared to any of the current 'less than $1000' Canon's?

Clearly the new range of Canon's have improved video, but since day one of owning my 600D I have not shot 1 second of video, I use my camera purely for photography. So this aspect of the Canon's doesn't interest me, I'm purely interested in IQ.

IQ jpegs 'straight out of camera' ranked from best (top) to worst (bottom) relative to each other:

the following have pixel sizes very close to the same; albeit 'newer' should be better:

5DMkIII (note: in-camera 'default' sharpening more '+' than 5DMkII; if one prefer less use a '-' value)
6D ('default' sharpening lower than 5DMkIII, closer to 5DMkII)
5DMkII ('default' sharpening very low; 'soft' (=no/less acutance !!! (ideal)))

the following have pixel sizes very close to the same; albeit 'newer' should be better:

PowerShot G1X (has VASS*) (really!!!)
60D (has VASS*) / EOS M (no VASS)
650D (has VASS*) / 600D (no VASS); ALL Rebels lack EOS-1 Dual Controls upper models have
7D (long overdue for update)

older generation pixels, even if larger, fine in good light but not good in low light

5D (no VASS/no ExpSim LV) limited by it's lower Mp for 'creative crop'; noisier at higher ISOs; lack of ExpSim LV especially if one enjoys the ease of Full M/M ISO (means one still has to do old film SLR style 'light meter scale readings' via TTL spot/area evaluations (much slower than ExpSim LV), and 'compensate' w/o benefit of real time exposure previews)

*VASS=Vari-Angle Swivel Screen

-- hide signature --

sdyue
(not 'Steve D Yue' (my husband (RIP)))

Sdaniella's gear list:Sdaniella's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow