Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
lesnag2
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: Meikon or NB - Anyone actually used one?
In reply to Lsimon, Feb 8, 2013

As far as the information I gathered about Meikon housings goes, they seem to be very likely at the level of the Olympus/Canon/Sony/etc. "original" housings.

I have one from Olympus for more than 8 years and it endured over hundred dives (one to 52m) and who-knows-how-many hours of snorkeling, kayaking and beach fun.
It is still fully operational, I have used it last October on my dive trip to Red Sea.
I have never changed the o-ring although the specs say it should be changed every two years. It still looks fine, no cracks.
I do take care for my equipment a lot, though.
If Meikon is anywhere close to that, it will be well worth the money.

Now, I do know that aluminum housings are of higher quality concerning endurance but they do pay out only if you go below 40m and dive a lot.

I dive for almost 20 years now and have seen a lot of people dragging a lot of expensive equipment with them only to produce average results. I am not saying that I am doing anything better but I am doing it for a lot less money.

That said, if had enough money and 700 bucks more would not make a difference, I would go for aluminum housing. But would not drag a heap of expensive gizmos with me - I'm there for diving.

P.S. The single review of a Meikon housing I was able to find is for the Canon S100:
http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2012/06/quick-review-white-label-nb-mk-s100-pro-housing-vs-canon-wp-dc43/

lesnag2's gear list:lesnag2's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow