How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,014
Like?
Re: How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?
In reply to gromero, Feb 8, 2013

It depends on how you are going to use you camera, while this is a old camera in the digital standard, it still has a lot to offed even when you compare to the latest 2013 models, I personally still like the base ISO IQ it offers, obviously high ISO is not as good as the latest models, no video, no live-view, no dual memory cards, no micro focus adjustment, low end AF system, slow frame rate, slow focus, quite a few important stuffs is missing there, even back in 2005 I didn't care for it, but that's only because I am comparing it to my Nikon F4/F5, 1V HS and 1Ds MK2 and 1D MK2, it really feels like a bigger sensor in my 20D, if you are coming from different camera you may not found those as "issues". but IQ wise it was top notch and even in today's standard it's still up there among the top IQ models. sure it doesn't have the crazy high ISO performance per 2013 standard, however, it doesn't have the ugly banding as those new Canon either, that's very important character of the first generation 5D in my opinion, super clean ISO 100, rich, accurate color reproduction, great skin tone, to my eyes it has better ISO 100 IQ than my (now sold) 5D2 especially in shadow area, my 5D2 was horrible in that specific department.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow