ND filter advice required

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Questions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Lens rotation with AF
In reply to iancrowe, Feb 8, 2013
In both cases the front element of the lens rotates with focusing. This means that any filter holder attached to the lens will also rotate. This is especially annoying when using Circular Polarising and Graduated Neutral Density filters. The trick is to focus your image then rotate the filter/holder to the angle you require (being careful not to rotate the lens and change focus). It is much easier to do this if your camera is mounted on a tripod.

Ian

Ian, I am glad you mentioned the rotating of the lens.  I also have 2 basic zoom lenses which rotate, purchased along with my camera a year ago, before I knew anything about everything!  Now I know a little bit, just enough to (hopefully) make better decisions when buying equipment later on.  The graduated ND filter is something I plan to buy soon, luckily I almost always use a tripod.  But in future I plan to strongly consider only purchasing lenses with internal focusing.

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow