Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,667Gear list
Like?
Re: Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?
In reply to tamasine, Feb 8, 2013

tamasine wrote:

I had considered the 28mm f1.8 and the Sigma 35mm f1.4 but since I shoot a lot in museums and low lit areas, I'm guessing that VR would help me more than a wider aperture?

I'm open to changing my view on this though if I've got this wrong.

The only thing is I read the 24-85 suffers from some difficult distortion and is not well suited to shooting architecture.  Plus, you will often be at the extreme wide end of your zoom.  Since you have a normal prime, you could get a stabilized wide angle lens. Of course, the Nikon 16-35 vr is, again, pricey.  No tripods or monopods allowed in the museums?  I would think it would be pretty easy to hand hold a light prime to a pretty slow shutter speed.  How many stops do you find the 16-85 gives you at 16mm?  Remember, the D600 will enable you to shoot at a much higher iso than you are used to.  You might be able to skip vr at these fl's with that body.  Just thinking out loud.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow