surprising lack of interest in G5 review

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,180Gear list
Like?
Re: G5 is just a Repackage G3 without sensor improvements
In reply to 007peter, Feb 8, 2013

The Imaging Resources review cited here (which is also the subject of another thread) suggests that EM-5 treatment of finer details may be a product of greater in camera sharpening rather than superiority over the G5. On the other hand, it likes the image quality of the G3 a bit better than the G5. A lot of knit picking going one about the merits of one sensor or another, or the processing engine. Clearly the G5 does have a different sensor.

In general from what I have read, the G5 is a significant improvement over the G3 - Jalywol summarizes some of these improvements. Personally I would rather have a GH3 or a GX2 with a GH3 sensor, but I don't think it is fair to slam the G5 as a repackaging of the G3. Perhaps it is more just to say that it is a less sexy but reasonable alternative to the EM-5 at half the price.

The other part of the question is just how much enthusiasm do we expect about threads with reviews? Perhaps we cannot assume that this is a good indicator of interest in a camera.

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow