Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marquee
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
5D3: Trying to be in the right place at the right time
Feb 8, 2013

OK so I drive past the caravan on my way to work. It is relatively convenient to get to, so I can go back multiple times and try to catch a scene at the best time. It's only an old delapidated caravan surrounded by messy trees, so not an ideal subject, but still, I quite like it so am persevering while the weather is bad and it's an opportunity to experiment.

So here is an early attempt, very cold day, I was shivering a bit which did not help steady the camera. Used a 24TS-E II which was what I had with me at the time, but perhaps a bit wide for the scene. The ice on the water is dampening reflections significantly, so perhaps not ideal.

So I go back in better weather, but the caravan is north facing so difficult to get it lit nicely. Lots of flooding so high water with wind rippling the surface. Again not ideal.

Scene taken from down the road, can just see the caravan above the lean-to of the house (lower floor). Shooting position for caravan not ideal - steep muddy bank straight into the water

A few days later, calmer day, still-ish water, used a polariser to maximise reflections. Went for a portrait composition to emphasise the caravan over surroundings (used 17-40 for zooming flexibility knowing I wasn't at the muddy wide end of the zoom if you know what I mean)

Taken at same time as previous shot, went for a black and white PP with filters (Orange and Yellow) - maybe not some peoples taste, but the whole scene is quite odd, so a dreamy hue seems appropriate (I like it anyway). So I am resonably happy with the final results, I would like a better shooting position, but am so limited with the muddy bank for options. Thanks for looking.

Mark

Marquee's gear list:Marquee's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow